Last Tuesday I had a bad day. Not sure why, just a slow day with too much to do and not much accomplished, plus one sick baby. By about 4:30 I was in great need of some comfort food. I happen to have everything needed for Fettuchine Alfredo and it was calling to me! If I ate like this too much, I'd be Ms. Lucy Lardo, so I can't do that. However, every once and awhile I have to indulge in this rich yumminess!! While eating this meal, husband says to me, "there's no protein in this meal..." To that I say, "Yeah, I know! It's called COMFORT FOOD! Eat your CARBS!!!"
Luckily, Alfredo is really easy to make. I remember making it for the first time and thinking, "There has to be more to this!" Nope! There's not! It's just easy, and then yummy, in minutes. When I made it this time, I used half and half, and some 1% milk. That's what I had on hand, and it was great! If you want something crazy rich, throw a little cream cheese in the mix!
1 pound Fettuccine Noodles
1 stick Butter
1 cup Heavy Cream
(or half and half, or milk if you want it a little lighter...)
2 cups Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper
Melt butter in skillet, add cream and whisk together. Season it with salt and pepper. Grate your parmesan and combine half of it with the butter/cream mixture. (If you add some cream cheese, add it now, about 1/4 a stick will do ya) Then take your fettuchine noodles fresh out of the hot water and put it in your serving bowl, pouring the Alfredo over the top. Then sprinkle on a generous amount, or all the remaining parmesan cheese on top!!! Yum!
This can be used as a great side dish in smaller portions or a main dish with chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, red and green peppers, roasted tomatos etc added. On this particular day, I had broccoli and mushrooms. I added these because my daughter is a wonderfully strange breed who LOVES vegetables. It's the first thing she eats off her plate! Also, this makes my high calorie meal feel a little healthier. :) Plus, I wanted to try roasting my broccoli like my blog buddy, Kip, does. So I did and it was delicious with my noodles, it adds a whole other flavor! I added my mushrooms with some olive oil towards the end of the roasting so they were done at the same time.
Oh, and also, after I finished my rather large portion of carbohydrates, I felt much better. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment