Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blondies

Growing up, my sister would call these Blondies. Get it? Not Brownies, but Blondies. It's quite clever. Plus, blondes have MORE FUN, right? Ha! I haven't made blondies for a long time but I felt like trying some again. I think the key to good Blondies, is BROWN SUGA! And strangely enough, they stay blonde! lol (hairdresser humor...)

It seems like I use to have a good recipe for this, but I misplaced it. (That's why I have this blog...then stuff I like doesn't get lost.) This recipe is the most like the one I use to use. It's from Mel's Kitchen.
Blondies

2 1/8 cups  all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1 cup  light brown sugar
1/2  cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 cups chocolate chips (or whatever chips you like!)
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. (I've done this with and without foil, I do think it cooks a little better in the foil, even though it's a pain.) Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the brownies from the pan after they have baked. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula.
Bake until the top of the bars is LIGHT golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. Careful not to over cook them. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. 

No comments: