While I was visiting my sister, Emily, she made these French Dip sandwiches. They were SO YUMMY! So yummy, in fact that we didn't actually make anything else while I was at her house for 3 1/2 days! We just kept making these sandwiches!Then, the week I got home, I made them for Mother's Day dinner! Overkill? hmmm. I think not. I've tried recipes like this before and juice is often too...canned tasting. Like yucky face bullion. Anyway, this was not like that, and it's super easy! So I add to my recipe book!
They are also delicious when made with these homemade Challah rolls, but that's another post entirely. I haven't yet mastered these..
Make sure you add some cheese of your choice and broil it for a minute or so. Then add the meat.
1 2.5-3 lb. beef roast (you can use a frozen roast if you want)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
2 c. water
2 cans beef broth
6-8 large buns (or more...6 would be VERY generous servings!)
Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.
When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You're not cooking the meat, you're just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices.
Place in crockpot and sprinkle with onion soup mixes. Pour water and beef broth over roast.
Cook 8-10 hours on low or cook 4-5 hours on high and another 3-4 hours on low. It's hard to screw this part up; basically, the longer it cooks, the more tender it will be. But you know it's done when you pop a fork in it and the meat just falls apart. When meat is ready, shred with a fork.
Place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melty.
Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
2 1-ounce packages dry onion soup mix
2 c. water
2 cans beef broth
6-8 large buns (or more...6 would be VERY generous servings!)
Swiss, provolone, or mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and rub roast with salt and pepper.
When very hot, carefully place roast in pan and sear on all sides. You're not cooking the meat, you're just browning it quickly on all sides to add flavor and seal in the juices.
Place in crockpot and sprinkle with onion soup mixes. Pour water and beef broth over roast.
Cook 8-10 hours on low or cook 4-5 hours on high and another 3-4 hours on low. It's hard to screw this part up; basically, the longer it cooks, the more tender it will be. But you know it's done when you pop a fork in it and the meat just falls apart. When meat is ready, shred with a fork.
Place meat in crusty rolls. Top with cheese and broil open-faced in the oven or toaster oven for a few minutes, until bread is golden and cheese is melty.
Ladle juices into small cups for dipping and enjoy!





3 comments:
This looks so good, Liza! I'm on the hunt for some new main dishes because I'm feeling a little bored with my usual main dish recipes. I'm going to try this over the weekend. Any recommendations on the kind of roast to buy? I guess I can just ask the butcher.
Oh, I meant to add that this recipe reminds me of the pulled pork recipe that I make with some frequency. You cook the meat in the crockpot until it falls apart. Very easy. Anyway, I'll let you know how this goes.
Thumbs up on the French Dip sandwiches recipe! Thanks Elisa! If you haven't noticed already, I posted this on my blog (giving you credit, of course). By the way, what kind of buns and cheese do you prefer? I don't know where one finds challah rolls around here. I just used some white rolls from Provo Bakery, which were good, but I think I can do better.
Post a Comment