My family is a fan of everything over rice. We eat a lot of stir fry and brown rice. I've wanted to try this sweet and sour chicken from Mel's Kitchen for a little while so I finally did. I saw that Megan also reviewed it and loved it, so it's always great to have a second (or third) opinion!
You can of course add pepper and pineapple. I normally do!
I have to admit, I hate 'dredging' meat in cornstarch and egg. There is something about the process that just does not thrill me. However, there are times when the yumminess is worth it, so I will stop being such a pansy and get my hands dirty!
Prep your chicken and dredge away!
After browning them in your frying pan, put it in a 9X13 and pour the sauce over the top! I found I didn't have to bake it as long as the recipe says, but it wouldn't have hurt it either!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
From Mel's Kitchen
Chicken:
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup canola oil
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in cornstarch and then in egg. Fry in a little oil until brown but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients (below) together and pour over chicken.
Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons ketchup
½ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Bake for one hour at 325 degrees. Turn chicken every 15 minutes. If you like extra sauce, make another batch of sauce and bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir constantly and let cook over medium heat until thickened and reduced – about 6-8 minutes.
Serve over rice, of course!
.jpg)
.jpg)
1 comment:
yay! I'm so glad you liked this recipe. Mel really does have the best recipes doesn't she? i need to make this one again!
Post a Comment