When I was teenager, my brother's group of friends had a Friday night tradition called, Baker's Night. I didn't always attend, but the invitation was open to a little sister of the group that often needed the company. This evening was set aside to cook and of course socialize as friends. Girlfriends came and went, then some stayed around and became family, friends showed up as they they could and contributed to the meal. The grocery store trip would start at dinner time, the cooking would start past dessert time and the eating would happen past bedtime. It was a night that my parents looked past curfew because I was with my brothers. It was a good time and you could count on it every Friday night.
Aaron, Josh, and Kirk served their missions in Japan, so when one of them was feeling inspired we would often do something Japanese. One of those things was Tempura. I remember making this with Josh quite a few times and have loved it ever since. It always brings me great memories of Baker's Night.
Sometimes Tempura mix can be hard to find. Target doesn't ever carry it anymore. Smiths and Alberton's often do but then they don't have the Tempura dipping sauce sometimes. Many Land's down in Provo always has both. However, the store is a little creepy, and there's that strange guy that sits in the little back room doing who knows what until you have to check out... I buy a few and keep some in my storage just in case. Here are your ingredient:
Tempura Batter Mix
Tempura Dipping Sauce
Vegetable Oil
Rice
Vegetables of your choice (Shrimp can also be used
This is super easy to make. That doesn't mean it's fast and clean, it's just not hard. First of all, you need to cut your Vegetables. This time around I had, potates, onions, peppers, asparagus, sweet potatoes, carrots, and I tried a few pieces of broccoli (not my fav). Your vegetables need to be sliced thinly so they will cook quickly.
Next, start heating up your oil. You can use a deep fryer, an electric skillet, or just a pot. My All Clad pot works well for this. While it's heating, make your Tempura Batter. You want your batter to be thick and lumpy. I often do less water than it says on the box. And a happy healthy note, the tempura mixture is made with Wheat Flour! So even though we're going to fry the heck out of this food, at least it is vegetables and wheat flour!! LOL. Whatever makes us feel better right?
So grab your tongs! Coat your piece of vegetable in thick batter and drop in your very hot oil. I do a bunch real quick and let them cook for a few minutes, remove them for the oil onto a paper towels, then do another batch.
Fried yumminess! Dip your tempura and rice in the Dipping Sauce, which is 1 part sauce, 3 parts hot water. It helps to have little dishes to put it in.
It also helps to have family live right down the street who are happy to come eat when you feel like cooking far too much food for your small family! It's Tuesday, but it can still be Baker's Night!
No comments:
Post a Comment