Tuesday, March 23, 2010

School Lunch Peanut Butter Fingers

Have you ever done one of those email recipe swap things? You know, the one where you send out a recipe to 7 people and supposedly, you'll get 1,239 of something back? But it NEVER EVER in a million years works? Well, I tried it out once, a few years ago, and ONE person emailed recipes. She was a sister of a dear friend and she went above and beyond and emailed a bunch of recipes because she's cool and cares more than the average person I guess. It was very nice of her. This little gem was amoungst them.
I wasn't a big fan of school lunch. I liked fresh lunch from home, packed by me, with lots of junk food added. (I was the youngest. No one paid attention to what I packed in my lunch. I had free reign.) But when I did eat school lunch, I hoped for a Peanut Butter Finger cause they were GOOD!!! I don't know what school lunch is like in other places, but if you grew up in Utah, you've had a school lunch PB Finger.

These are dangerous to have at our house. Husband and I cannot keep our grubby little hands out of them! And since they make a huge cookie sheet full, that's a lot of calories.

My advice: make them for a grateful group and make sure there's lots of MILK!
School Lunch Peanut Butter Fingers

¾ cup butter or marg.
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs

Cream together then add:
¾ cup peanut butter, cream until smooth
(If you really like peanuts, chunky peanut butter is good also!)

Add:
¾ tsp baking soda
½ Tbsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups oats
1 ½ cups flour

Mix together and pat down into a jellyroll pan.
Bake 350 for 15min.
***Let cool slightly, but while still warm, spread a thin layer of peanut butter over the top.

Frosting:
6 Tbsp butter
1 ½ tsp vanilla
4 ¾ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp cocoa
¼ cup milk

Blend until smooth and spread on fingers.
Pour a glass of milk and flash back to elementary school.

7 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

These look delicious. I'll probably make them for my husband since he's from Utah. At least that's my excuse.

Elisa said...

We'll see if they bring him back to Elementary School!! :)

alishka babushka said...

liza - i LOVE these and buy way too many of them at Macey's. I'm rather excited to have a real life recipe. :o)

Robert Brandon Henderson said...

I totally remember being envious of others when they got one and I didn't because of my home sack lunch! They were the bomb! Oh ya, I used the bomb. Can't wait to make them.

Kip said...

Elisa, just wanted to wish you happy birthday! I hope you had a lovely day!

Elisa said...

Thanks Kip! It was a great birthday. One of the best!

Amy said...

Liza, this is an amazing blog! Where do you find the time for all that you do? Thanks for sharing. You are wonderful!!