Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Taco Soup

On Tuesdays, I work on and off throughout the day. I often have clients (I'm a hairdresser) in the late afternoon before dinner, therefore, I need a meal on those days that is practically prepared when I am done working. So Tuesdays has become crockpot day, or leftovers day.
I made this Taco Soup last week and really enjoyed it. It makes a lot of soup, so it's great for a big group! Or, if you have a small family like me, we ate it once for left overs and then froze the rest for later!
I altered this recipe to my test slightly by changing up the beans a tad. I don't love kidney beans a lot, they are a little too mealy for me. So I only do one can of kidney beans and one can of navy beans, which I like more. In addition to the pinto beans.
The ranch and taco seasoning packets do wonders for this simple soup! It was a simple, enjoyable meal!
Taco Soup
Adapted slightly from A Year of Slowcooking
--1 can of kindey beans
--2 cans of pinto beans
--1 can of navy beans
--2 cans of corn
--1 large can of diced tomatoes
--1 can tomatoes and chiles
--1 packet taco seasoning (if you are gluten free, stick to McCormick)
--1 packet ranch dressing mix (make sure there isn't hidden gluten, I went with Hidden Valley)
--1 lb browned ground turkey, hamburger or stew meat (optional.)
--shredded cheese, sour cream and Frijtos for embellishment

The Directions:
--brown meat if you are going to use it
--drain fat and add the meat to the crockpot stoneware insert
--sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat
--drain and rinse the beans and add
--add the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans
--stir.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5. I think the longer you cook soup, the better, so if you have the time, opt for cooking on low. Stir well, and serve with a handful of shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some crushed up Frijtos.

4 comments:

literarymiss said...

Ooh yummy! I've been looking for a good and simple taco soup recipe for a while...slow cooker sealed the deal for me!

T!FF said...

So I usually look at you blog from the reader on my phone, NOT ANYMORE! I just noticed the printer friendly button now I can put this right into my recipe book. think I will make this tongiht! Thanks for sharing ~ Looks super yummy!

Pressed Petals said...

Just found your blog on Tasty Kitchen and WOW...I am in love! Will be adding this to my faves! I am going through ink printing up your recipes for these next two weeks! Thanks!

Elisa said...

Thanks for stopping in! Print away and happy cooking!!