Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Soup

I love this soup. I love soup in general. And it SNOWED today. So I need soup.
I don't think it's my husband's favorite. But my kids eat it and I LOVE it. So I will continue to make it.
I came across this recipe on Becky Higgin's site. I love making soups and I like to get different ideas for them, because some times I get stuck in a soup rut. This soup always seems to turn out yummy and different than the rest. 
I love colorful chopped vegetables. That's a lot of choppin! If you don't love love love mushrooms, you could certainly leave some out, or just chop them much smaller. But you can't take them all out, because it really helps give in the creamy mushroom base. Hence the name!
Deliciousness in every bite!
CREAMY MUSHROOM & CHICKEN SOUP
6 Tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
6 c. chicken broth
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced/chopped
3/4 c. sliced celery
3/4 c. chopped carrots
2 c. quartered baby red potatoes
1 c. chopped yellow squash
1 1/2-2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 tsp. thyme
2 c. light cream
3/4-1 c. grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish if desired
2 c. chopped cooked chicken
In a large post, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the four, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth. Gradually add the broth, then turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, squash, corn, and thyme. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add the cream, Parmesan, and chicken. Heat the soup for an additional 10 minutes, but do not let it boil. To serve, ladle the soup into a bowl and sprinkle it with more Parmesan, if desired. Makes about 15 cups.

2 comments:

KIKA said...

Oh my goodness, this soup looks so good! Can I just say Thank you for your blog? I made a whole bunch of your dessert recipes for my families Thanksgiving and it was wonderful! --- question, can I substitute Turkey for the Chicken in this one? Or will the combined tastes with the chicken broth and turkey be too weird.--- also do you have any recommendations for Thanksgiving leftovers???

Elisa said...

Thanks! I have never used turkey in this soup, but I think it would work fine!

I don't think I can give you any genius left over ideas besides sandwiches! lol. We have thanksgiving dinner with in laws and family around here, so I don't often have a lot of leftovers!