This is the cake my husband requested for his 28th birthday this year. This has been a classic birthday cake in my family for a long time. My mom has probably made it 50 times. And because of that, I never make it as well as she does. She has a certain touch that makes it look wonderful every time!! So I guess I have to make this many many times to get great at it! But we'll enjoy eating it each time. It is one dessert that my whole family actually agrees on! And lots of our extended family has gotten to enjoy it also.
I LOVE pretty candles.
This cake has four layers. Two circle cakes cut in half with chocolate frosting, whipped cream and sliced bananas on each layer. We have also done it with strawberries before and that was very yummy too. But the bananas go very well with the chocolate!
The four components of this cake. My chocolate cake this time was simple triple chocolate box cake from Betty Crocker. Any chocolate will do, but I thought the extra moistness of this cake would help. I hate working with it when it's crumbly.
We have rip bananas, ready to slice as we go. We don't want them to go brown by the they are used.
Sweetened whipped cream.
And chocolate icing. I just made it to taste.
First layer of cake. Cut it with a sharp serrated knife or a cake leveler if you have one. (I was excited about having a leveler today. I've only used it once!) Notice that my cake is not perfectly centered on my cake pedestal? Smart one Liza! It was then like that forever. :) Do it right the first time!
Set your top half to the side for now.
Carefully frost the first layer. Being careful not to bring up chunks of cake and also trying to leave enough icing on the outside edge of the cake for the appearance of the cake when you're done.
Then add the whipped cream, doing the same with amount. Leave enough so it will slightly push out on the sides. But too much will squish all over. :) So the perfect amount will do.
Then slice the bananas. I like to leave the bananas away from the outer edge. They will brown quickly if out in the open and that makes for an ugly cake.
Second layer. I even up the top off a little to help the cake stay straight. Flat surfaces are easier to work with for sure.
Frosting. Whipped Cream. Bananas. Got it?
Third Layer.
Now again...
And then for the top!! No bananas on the top. Brown bananas = ugly cake. :) Cut this cake with care, one slice will do a long way and is oh so yummy!!













2 comments:
Wow! That looks awesome, Elisa! Although this doesn't look difficult to make, it does appear to be time-consuming and would require a level of precision that I probably wouldn't be good at. So while I likely won't ever try creating this cake unless I REALLY, REALLY love someone, I do enjoy seeing how you do it. And I can readily imagine how good it tastes! :-)
Kip. One day when I am SO on the ball, I need to make this cake for your birthday and bring it to the office. Everyone should have it once! :)
Post a Comment