It's time to break out the ice cream maker again and that makes me happy! I've made frozen yogurt, custard, and this ice cream. Luckily there are people to share it all with so it doesn't all go straight to my hips. Just some of it... :) I've adjusted this recipe a couple times. I don't actually think this recipe is picture perfect yet. But I think it's very close. This makes enough ice cream for the 1 quart cuisinart ice cream maker.
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
2 cups half and half
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese
3 large eggs yolks
1 cup strawberry puree
1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
(You can use all strawberry puree if you don't want any chunks, obviously)
1. Bring the half and half to the scalding point, the milk will begin to foam.
2. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. I use my electric hand mixer. Gradually add small amounts of the half and half mixture into the egg mixture to temper while whisking continually so the eggs don't curdle.
3. Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and stir continually until the custard thicken enough that it coast the back of a spoon. (about 170 degrees)
4. Immediately remove the custard from the heat and continue to stir the custard for a few minutes so it does not over cook. Once slightly cooled, stir in the vanilla extract and the strawberry puree. Cover and let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate the custard until it is completely cold. At least 4 hours, or overnight.
5. Pour chilled custard to the frozen ice cream bowl and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. 10 minutes into the freezing process pour in the chopped strawberries, if using. Transfer ice cream to a chilled container and store in the freezer. Make sure to lick the spoon and mixing paddle when it's done! Yum!

6 comments:
This looks so good! I'm actually getting an ice cream maker for my birthday and I'm making this!! :)
Oh my yum!!! I so need to make the new recipes you have on here!
Yum! Sounds like perfection! What a fun summer treat:)
Megan, you didn't have an ice cream maker!? You of all people should totally have one! Happy ice cream making!
How much sugar? The amount is not on the recipe. Please tell us because this sounds like a yummy recipe.
Oh goodness!! I any believe i left that out! I believe it is 3/4 cup.
Post a Comment