Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet Zucchini Pancakes

So, my camera has been in Ogden for weeks. I left it at my sister's house and it was HORRIBLE without it!And then I finally got it back and my brother needed to borrow it for a back up in a shoot he had. But when I made these yummy zucchini pancakes I had to record it, so we get funky hipstamatic iPhone pictures! woohoo!
I obviously I have a few too many LARGE zucchini in my garden. Why can't I pick them when they are a normal size?! I swear I look all the time, and then one day I do out and there are two monster zucchinis!! It's a little out of control. I have been handing out zucchini, squash, and tomatoes to my hair clients like crazy!
So I've been making zucchini everything in order to not waste the bountiful gardeny goodness. We've done lots of breads, muffins, cupcake and this morning, pancakes! Of course topped with buttermilk syrup! The one things about these pancakes is they take a little longer to cook through. So be a little patient, this is not Bisquick.
Sweet Zucchini Pancakes
recipe from Pinch of Yum
½ cups All-purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
¼ teaspoons Salt
1 whole Egg
½ cups Greek Yogurt (nonfat Is Fine)
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 whole Zucchini, Grated
½ cups Water Or Milk

Preheat a nonstick skillet or griddle to medium to high heat (350ºF).
Whisk dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, and melted butter together. Combine dry and wet ingredients together and mix until just combined. Fold in grated zucchini. Add water or milk a little at a time until the batter consistency reaches the desired thickness. The more you add, the thinner your pancakes will be. For me, 1/2 cup was enough to thin the batter but keep them nice and fluffy.
Scoop 1/3 cup of batter onto the griddle and gently spread the batter if necessary. When you see bubbles rising around the edges, flip the pancakes. I found that some of the pancakes took as long as 8-10 minutes to cook (5 minutes per side). Top with butter and maple syrup!
**My pancakes were a little darker because I used mostly whole wheat flour. Worked great!
After all my hard work at the gym, I totally ate far more calories then I burned before 10am. Yeah me!!

No comments: