Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cafe Rio - Sweet Pork Salad

Not only did I forget to take a picture of the yummy spread of food we had on Sunday, but I then, forgot again to take a picture of it on Monday when I ate it for leftovers! I'm such a visual person, a recipe is just not the same without a picture. So, here we have left-overs on the next day, half-eaten salad! At least you get the full effect of the many layers!

Cafe Rio is a very popular fresh mex restaurant in Utah. People who move away from here, seem to really miss their Sweet Pork Salad. I would too. However, I'll never live away from here, I'm here Forever... But that's another story. So many people have tried to duplicate the recipes and I have tried quite a few of their duplicated recipes! These are the ones I like the best and have adjusted to my liking.
Slow Cooked Sweet Pork
3 1/2 - 4 lb Pork Roast
2 T. Brown Sugar
1 1/4 tsp. Red Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Salt
1 can (or so) Coke (Dr Pepper can be used too. I like the coke better. oh, and NO DIET)
1 1/4 c. Chicken Broth
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
2 or 3 chopped Onions (I used 1 large onion this time)
1 c. Brown Sugar

The How To: The night before or early that morning, mix together brown sugar, cayenne, cumin, and salt. Rub on roast(s) and put in crock pot on LOW all night.
The next morning, add coke, broth, garlic, and onions. Keep on LOW until read to serve. About an hour before serving, shred roast and add 1 cup brown sugar. At this point I taste the meat and sauce to see if it has enough sweet/kick. I like it sweet, but it needs flavor too. I often sprinkle in some more cayenne pepper and/or garlic salt.

 Lime-Cilantro Rice

2 T. Oil
4 c. Long Grain Rice (w/ 6 cups water)
1 bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 2 limes
2 tsp. crushed Garlic

Heat oil in a large pot or skillet. Add rice, cilantro, and garlic. Saute for a few mintues, stirring frequently so the rice doesn't burn. Add the water and lime juice and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer until all the water is gone and rice is soft, about 20 minutes. You can do this in a rice cooker also, I think it's a little slower though.

Creamy Tomatilla Salad Dressing
(this is a must with the salad!)

1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing mix
1 c. Buttermilk
1 c. Mayo (or sour crewam)
2-3 tomatillas (peel off outer leaf/shell)
1/2-3/4 bunch fresh Cilantro
1 tsp. crushed Garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it, I start with 1/2 tsp.)
juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper

Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend it up! Refrigerate.

To assemble the salads, I like to buy round tins (like they use at Cafe Rio), this is also easier for clean up! A major component of this meal is also the tortillas. My costco here sells uncooked tortillas. Flip em a few times in an UNGREASED pan and they are perfect and make this dish oh so much better! SO, start with a tortilla on the bottom, then add rice, meat, beans (I do black), and then shredded lettuce and toppings. This time around we had tomatos, avocados, cheese, salsa, etc. Then the dressing. TaDa!!! SO fresh and yummy!! You can of course do burritos or fajitas with this meat, it all tastes great!

9 comments:

Aaron said...

I LOVE commenting on your awesome blog! In fact I'm commenting right now, and LOVING it!

Elisa said...

lol. what a dork.

Kip said...

I love the Cafe Rio pork salad. It's about the only thing I order when I go there because when I try anything else, it just doesn't quite measure up. My question is this: is it worth the trouble to make this salad when you can pay someone else to make it for you? Maybe when you are serving multiple people, the monetary savings are worth it, but if I think of buying the ingredients and making this for myself, I wonder if it would worth the trouble. What do you think? And don't call me a dork. ;-)

Elisa said...

Kip. lol. you're not a dork! I have gone throught the same thing. This is a meal made for a group for SURE! If I want one for me, I drive my behind over there to get one! However, that being said, after serving this to my family for dinner (which they loved!) Matt and I ate the left overs for two days. I just kept everything in seperate containers. And we both commented on how awesome it was to have all this for lunch so easily! So-the left overs are totally awesome. Also, our lovely Angie and Aaron, really hate Cafe Rio. Don't ask me why, they just can't handle it. But, they love this. It's fresher I think and made to their personal like. So, it's totally worth making, but for a group. small or big! You're my first real comment kip! makes me smile... :)

Kip said...

Hey Elisa! Thanks for responding to my question. I'll have to give this a try sometime.

Yes, I know that Angie and Aaron dislike, even hate, Cafe Rio. And I don't get it either. My taste in food is usually quite similar to theirs, though I probably operate on a much higher level ;-) But their wacky attitude about Cafe Rio, and especially their pork salad, makes no sense whatsoever. I guess they redeem themselves somewhat by liking your version of the salad.

Finally, what do you mean, your "first real comment"? What about my other comments on your recipes? What are those, chopped liver? ;-)

Oh, and cool blog!

Aaron said...

Cafe Rio? You mean Boring Mcblandy Mostlyrice? We who can still taste will never stop trying to keep good people from eating truly mediocre food. You're better than this Kip.

Elisa, Cafe Rio is fine for you. It really bothers me that you've sucked Matt in, though. The man owns a Camaro for crying out loud, let him eat some real food!

Elisa said...

Kip, I meant ALL your comments were my first real comments. That YOU for my first Commentor! Which makes me feel all happy. (Aaron does count. He's mocking me.)

Aaron, I'm turly impressed that I ever really pulled Matt in to the Cafe Rio. But I can't deny my cravings. It's good.

Kip said...

Okay, Aaron, I'll back off on the Cafe Rio criticism. I can't really defend the whole menu anyway since, as I said, I keep ordering the pork salad every time I go there. I've tried a few other things on rare occasion (the salmon tacos hit the spot sometimes) but like Elisa, I simply crave the pork salad. Having said that, you and Angie are still decent human beings with refined palates. And your criticisms of Cafe Rio are perfectly valid, for you. :-)

elisha said...

Yep....gonna have to try this one too :)