Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chicken Tetrazzini

This recipe was one my sister emailed me awhile back, thinking I'd enjoy it. She was right. It's yummy and easy, and it's great to make for a crowd. I of course only took one picture and then forgot to take anymore!! What a space case I am...

2 T Butter
8 oz Mushrooms (I could easily use twice this amount, but not so much for my hubby)
4 Green onions or yellow onion
1 tsp dried basil
2 T. Flour
2 c Chicken Stock
½ c Whipping cream
1/3 c Cranberry Juice
2 c. cubed Chicken
2/3 c Grated Parmesan
8 oz pasta of your choice (I like the mini bowtie with this)

In large skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onions, and basil; cook until soft, then cool a bit. In a bowl, blend flour with 1/3 cup chicken stock to make smooth paste. Then stir in remaining stock. (This is where I changed this a tad. I think the original recipe had too much flour and I hate it when things tastes gluteny at all! So I did a little less flour and have done it without the flour at all!)  Pour into skillet, heat, stirring until thicker. (Careful, it will get thick fast with the flour.) Add cream, juice, and chicken. Heat, then add cheese, remove from heat. I always adjust the taste a bit at the end. Salt and Pepper, a little more basil... whatever it needs. **Remember, it won't taste right until you add the Parmesan! That is a lot of the flavor, so don't mess with it too much until you have the full effect of the cheese.

I have served this with noodles on bottom and then poured the sauce and chicken over the top OR I have mixed the whole thing together in a big pot! This works well, unless you're my sister and hate anything too saucey, then the cook is in trouble!!

1 comment:

Kip said...

This sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try.